Some input for you on the overheating issue:
- i have tried downgrading the Gear VR Skybox app to 0.1.9, 0.2.0 and 0.2.1
- i have tried all these versions with PC client 0.2.2 and the older 0.1.7.4 from before the folder mode was introduced
- tried using the mac client on my Macbook instead
- tried not using the desktop client at all and just streaming over PLEX / SMB
- i have tried with airplane mode enabled, bluetooth and everything else that is not absolutely necessary OFF, only kept WiFi ON
- tried local files instead of network playback
- tried not using the OSD, but instead just watching the movie
nothing helps anymore at this point. it's always either overheating, or if i don't get the overheating message, network playback completely freezes every couple of seconds, making things totally unwatchable.
I am on a regular Galaxy S8, mostly Windows 10, my Mac is on Mojave. Everything used to work absolutely flawlessly before with this setup. the only thing i changed was adding the Gear VR controller when then new swipe-zoom feature was introduced. Right now i can't use my setup anymore at all. It's max 5 mins before it overheats...
I've also installed an app to measure the CPU temperature. It usually triggers the message at 45°C, lately at 41°C even. I'm starting to believe the problem is somewhere in the Gear Vr or the Oculus apps.
i hope this input will be helpful in some way. keep up the good work guys! i'm sure you will find the problem.
i've tried some other players now - moon player, pigasus, Samsung VR - they all seem to suffer from the same overheating issues, but they are handling things a little better, after the first overheating message appeared.